Thursday, November 18, 2010

Future Vision and Metal Lunchbox


Thought I would post a couple of new designs. The first is for Metal Lunchbox Publishing. I grew up in the 70's and one of my favorite things to do at the beginning of the school year was to pick out a new lunchbox. Some of my favorites were Space 1999, Star Wars and Scooby Doo. I wish I had kept them but truthfully they were pretty beat up by the end of the year. Metal Lunchbox Publishing specializes in children and young adult books so I wanted to go for a fun retro look.

Since Halloween was around the corner, I decided to put together a version with a different color scheme. Halloween is such a fun holiday and I like the contrast of the color scheme on this version. It almost looks like it glows in the dark. I like the idea about having different color schemes at different times of the year so I may play around with the color design and elements in the future.

I also completed another book cover with Future Vision by Ellen Parry Lewis and published by Metal Lunchbox Publishing. Future Vision is about Samantha Bell who is an ambitious high school student with a bright future until one fateful night at the local fair. She decides to go through the controversial Future Vision exhibit. This attraction allows viewers to see up
to twenty seconds of their personal future. Because of the possible risks, viewers must ingest a dissolvable pill immediately afterward, causing them to forget what they had just witnessed. Samantha tries to take the future into her own hands, though, when she smuggles a pen inside the attraction. Although she was forced to forget what she had seen, she leaves the attraction with an ominous feeling and three mysterious words written on her hand: Snow, fight, and ca. Samantha feels she must figure out what those three words mean before the event occurs and possibly ruins her life.

I created this image in Photoshop with my Wacom tablet. I decided to focus on the imagery of a ferris wheel at night (it was a lot more dramatic than having the words written on her hand or a few other ideas I played around with). I put dark clouds in the background to give it a more ominous look. And since the future is uncertain, I made the "Future" blurry or unclear.

Comments are welcome.




No comments:

Post a Comment